VINH LONG ARMY AIRFIELD
Shannon-Wright Compound
Vinh Long - Vinh Long Province - IV CTZ

HOLD CURSOR ON THUMBNAIL FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

 

When Major-General George S. Eckhardt along with the 9th Infantry Division colors, HQ, and 5,000 troops arrived in Vietnam on December 16, 1966, they landed on the beaches along the south bank of the Co Chien River at Vinh Long. Vinh Long Army Airfield had already been established northwest of the city off of Route QL-4. It was home to the US Navy Seawolves Detachment 3, HA(L)-3 and the Army 114th Knights of the Air attack helicopter company. The Army aviation unit ultimately occupied the airfield for period of nine years beginning on May 10, 1963. Their facility -  the Shannon-Wright Compound - was named in honor of the 114th's first two causalities: SP-5 Wyley Wright KIA March 9, 1964, and Lieutenant Kenneth Arthur Shannon KIA March 15, 1964. In addition to the Seawolves, the US Navy Support Activity Saigon - Detachment Vinh Long - in conjunction with Task Force 116 - Market Time, operated a 20-boat PBR (patrol boat river) base along the city's waterfront.- northeast view - FEB 69

 

NORTHEAST AERIAL VIEW OF VINH LONG

Background Sounds: "The Stars and Stripes Forever" - John Phillips Sousa 1896       RETURN TO VIETNAM TOUR 365